There are plenty of clever ways to reduce the amount of things we throw away. While recycling is a big one, we can also upcycle, reuse, and donate. Below are five items that (most of us didn’t know) can be recycled – and the one item that can’t.
3. Carpet can be recycled if it is clean and usable.
4. Old blankets, towels, and sheets can be donated to animal shelters. They can be used as makeshift beds for dogs and cats!
5. Aluminum foil! According to Earth911 you should always wash your aluminum foil to remove food particles before putting it in the recycling bin. You can also buy 100% recycled aluminum foil which uses five percent less energy than the traditional aluminum foil manufacturing process.
Now what about pizza boxes? Technically, a pizza box is made out of cardboard, and therefore, can be recycled. However, once the pizza inside the box gets on its surface – ie, sauce, cheese, grease, etc. – then the box is no longer recyclable. So there you have it.
- Tip #54 (pureandsimpleliving.wordpress.com)
- Aluminum cans – the ultimate in recycling (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- High Value $1.50/1 Reynolds Wrap Coupon (Reset?) (hip2save.com)
- Teaching Our Children to Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, and Rebuy (everydayhealth.com)
- Ask Umbra: Are coffee cups recyclable? (grist.org)
- Producing recycled foil uses 95 percent less energy (video) (news.cnet.com)
- Shake It Up with Paper Cup Maracas (education.com)