Please consider donating to the Red Cross to help them prepare for and provide shelter, food, emotional support and other assistance in response to the wildfires burning in our area. For too many people, this is not an interesting exercise, but a reality.
HOW TO DONATE:
- Online: go to: http://american.redcross.org/NorthwestResponse
- Visit: U.S. Bank branches in Western Washington [ find a branch near you ]
- Mail a check to:
KING 5 Northwest Response
P.O. Box 24525
Seattle, WA 98124
Since the Taylor Bridge fire began on August 13, dozens of homes near Cle Elum have been destroyed.
Your house is burning. You have to get out fast. Suddenly you are forced to prioritize, editing down a lifetime of possessions to a mere handful. Now you must decide: Of all the things you own, what is most important to you?
- The practical? Your laptop, your smartphone, what you need to keep working and stay in touch?
- The valuable? Your money, your jewelry, the limited edition signed poster in the living room?
- The sentimental? The watch your late grandfather gave you, the diary you kept as a teenager?
I guess I am going to put all that stuff in the wooden boxes? To be honest, the whale vertebrae and ceramic artichokes were already sitting on the table and I found the Polaroid cameras when I was searching for my passport. I know that if I had a bag and five minutes, I would probably not stop until that bag was full and the time had run out. I mean, how could I forget external rechargeable speakers, iPod, and more books that I could even count. Then, there is that pair of elephants my sister gave me and that elf head cookie jar I bought at the junk store in Navy Yard City.
Rick created his own collection of things he would save from a fire, between the two of us, the only thing we would be prepared for is international travel if our place burned down. Here are his:
I am not sure how he managed to get the dogs to sit still on the table.
- The Burning House: What People Would Take If The House Was on Fire (waldina.com)
- Wildfire near Cle Elum burns two dozen structures (king5.com)
- Taylor Bridge firefighters bracing for weekend thunderstorms (king5.com)
- Saturday storms could hobble Taylor Bridge Fire fight (krem.com)