I have mixed feelings about making New Year’s Resolutions. Mostly because I think that if you want to change something, don’t wait until a specific date, just start changing it. That being said, I have created a list of things I plan on doing differently or more of or less of in 2015. Some seem like traditional resolutions, some seem like just like the right things to do. I look at the Holstee Manifesto every morning and read a different line from it. I will add in and expound on a few of my favorites here also. Here they are in no particular order:
1. Visit the doctor and dentist more. I get free checkups, I need to be using them. I only get one body, I need to keep it in good shape. I can’t take better care of my car than I do my body, they both need tune ups and check ups.
2. Less internet and social media. I am going to delete Facebook from my phone (Finland is the only reason I am not deleting my Facebook in total) and will delete old Facebook posts manually. I will probably delete my Twitter (I feel like it is opting in to all sorts of marketing and I can’t think of anything that I have really gained from it). I will definitely delete my ello (it never happened). I will probably only use my Tumblr for promoting Rick’s art and art blogs that I also will keep. In 2015, I want my social media to be social, interactive, inspiring, supportive, and two-way. If certain platforms aren’t, then they aren’t and they have to go.
3. More tattoos. Call it a mid-life crisis, call it what you want. I want more tattoos. I am ready to chronicle, commemorate, and personalize my body with tattoos that mean something to me. The next ones I am going to get are five little birds on the left side of my neck and maybe to lines of numbers that represent the map coordinates of the places that are important to me on my right. I figure that I will be wearing suits for the rest of my professional life, so the tattoos will be hidden under the shirt collars.
4. Run. If it means that I have to get up at 5:50am to get in a run, then so be it. I need to commit to going to the gym five (at least four) times a week. I want to do yoga once a week. I want to try running a couple 5k/10k runs in 2015. I have a FitBit Flex tracking my activity. I should commit to hitting at least 10,000 steps a day. I only have one body and it needs to last and be in good shape for as much as my life as possible.
5. Work. I want to find a place that I can dig in and work for the long haul. I spent most of my 20s trying to get my head in the right spot, to be where I liked myself and found worth in who I was. Doing so pushed my developing my career off to the side. I have had a life full of career false-starts and will keep trying and searching until I find a place where I am excited to come to every day.
6. I am going to simplify my belongings. I am not going to hold on to things for nostalgia. If I no longer fit in those suits, they should be donated to a place that can benefit from them.
7. Stop worrying and caring. I think that I have stopped worrying and caring what people thought about me a long time ago, but it is always a good refresher to visit. I am gong to a lot less bars lately, bars seem to be where a lot of the judging happens. Do those people pay your bills? No? Haters ‘Cause They Ain’t Us. #NoFucksGiven